- The Search Committee is re-advertising the internal search for the position of Associate Dean for the Arts and Humanities. All faculty at the rank of Professor in the arts and humanities are encouraged to consider applying for the position. View the job listing.
- The Search Committee has announced open forums for the positions of Associate Dean for Strategic Initiatives and Associate Dean for the Natural, Mathematical, and Social Sciences. The name of each candidate will be announced by email the day before their open forum. When all open forums are done for each position, we will post video of the forums online.
Associate Dean for Strategic Initiatives Open Forums:
- Candidate #1: 2:30-3:30 p.m., Tuesday, October 29, 70 Van Allen Hall
- Candidate #2: 2:30-3:30 p.m., Wednesday, October 30, 101 Becker Communication Studies Building
- Candidate #3: 2:30-3:30 p.m., Thursday, October 31, 348 Iowa Memorial Union (Big Ten Theatre)
Associate Dean for the Natural, Mathematical, and Social Sciences Open Forums:
- Candidate #1: 2:30-3:30 p.m., Tuesday, November 5, 348 Iowa Memorial Union (Big Ten Theatre)
- Candidate #2: 2:30-3:30 p.m., Wednesday, November 6, 348 Iowa Memorial Union (Big Ten Theatre)
Update September 9:
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences seeks internal candidates to fill three Associate Dean positions in the areas of Strategic Initiatives, Arts & Humanities, and Natural, Mathematical, & Social Sciences.
The search committee will meet to discuss candidate applications on or after September 27, 2019. Interviews are expected to take place in October, with the appointment beginning no later than January 1, 2020.
If you are interested in this position or would like to encourage other faculty members you believe would execute these duties exceptionally well, please refer to the position description links below:
Expressing interest in these positions and/or applying for these positions is a confidential process. We will maintain confidentiality in accordance to the University Policy on Job Applicant Confidentiality. Your name will only be discussed within the context of the search committee meetings, until it is appropriate to make the finalists’ names public, unless otherwise requested.
If you have any questions regarding this search process, please contact Steve Goddard, email@example.com.
Update August 29: Seeking nominations for a single search committee for the new positions listed below. Please send search committee nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean's Office is committed to helping CLAS departments succeed as they define and implement their operational and academic strategies.
To facilitate collegiate support for departmental success—as well as to spur development of college-level strategic initiatives in collaboration with departments, other colleges, and central administration—the Dean's Office is reorganizing its structure as part of Driving Excellence and Impact. These changes, which retain the same number of dean-level administrators, will result in significantly streamlined processes and procedures.
By January 1, 2020, CLAS administration will consist of the following positions:
- Associate Dean for the Arts and Humanities (internal search to occur fall 2019)
- Will assume operational oversight of arts and humanities units, including faculty matters
- Associate Dean for the Natural, Mathematical, and Social Sciences (internal search to occur fall 2019)
- Will assume operational oversight of natural/mathematical sciences and social sciences units, including faculty matters
- Associate Dean for Strategic Initiatives (internal search to occur fall 2019)
- Associate Dean for Graduate Education, Outreach, and Engagement (Christine Getz)
- Will include leadership of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion matters
- Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs and Curriculum (Helena Dettmer)
- Associate Dean for Research and Infrastructure (Marc Armstrong)
The following positions are being eliminated:
- Associate Executive Dean/Dean for Faculty (effective December 31, 2019)
- Associate Dean for Outreach and Engagement (effective December 31, 2019; will be folded into Associate Dean for Graduate Education, Outreach, and Engagement portfolio, in addition to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion leadership)
- Assistant Dean (effective November 15, 2019)