Degree-Seeking Students Testing into IIEP/ESL Transitional

Occasionally, degree-seeking students enrolled in the University are required to enroll in one or more non-credit ESL Transitional courses or Iowa Intensive English Program (IIEP) courses (based on results of the English Proficiency Evaluation) until desired proficiency is met. These courses require separate tuition costs beyond the base University of Iowa tuition. Enrollment in these courses may impact scholarships. Please contact the Office of Admissions ( with any questions.

Passing the Course and Moving On

If your final course grade is a C (73%) or higher and your final exam score is at or above 70%, you will be able to move on and register for the corresponding ESL Credit course in the next semester.