Swahili Language and Culture Resources
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias & Digital Libraries
- The Kamusi Project Internet Swahili Dictionary
- Online Dictionary: Swahili - English
- Online English to Swahili Dictionary
- Online Dictionaries - Swahili Dictionaries Online
- Forvo Pronunciation Dictionary
Crowdsourced dictionary for pronouncing words in Swahili
- Brief history of the Swahili language
- The Language Gulper
Introduction to the language
- Karibu Kwangu
Advanced verb parser, verb derivatives, noun agreements, etc.
- Swahili Nouns
Swahili noun classification system
Introductory Kiswahili lessons
- 200 Word Project
- Useful Swahili Words and Phrases
List of basic words and phrases with audio recordings
- Teach Yourself Swahili
Introductory Swahili vocabulary organized thematically
Reading & Writing
Listening & Speaking
- Learn101 - Swahili
Basic vocabulary and introductory phrases with audio files
Online Course Materials
- Swahili 101
YouTube-based course focusing on introductory conversation and basic vocabulary
- Swahili: An Active Introduction
Basic course with textbook PDF and 150 audio lessons
- CultureTalk Tanzania
Videos of native speakers discussing a wide range of topics
- UVA Swahili Website
Website developed to accompany an in-person course. Useful audio files and readings
- Peace Corps Kiswahili course
Links to downloadable language manuals
- Foreign Service Institute Swahili Basic Course
Downloadable language learning manuals
- Swahili 101 at BYU
Computer-assisted course developed at BYU
Open Educational Resources
- Swahili Resources@Boston University
- Swahili Resources@Calvin College
- Swahili Resources@Columbia University
- Swahili Resources@Portland State University
- Swahili Resources@St. Lawrence University
- Swahili Resources@Vassar College
- Swahili Resources@Yale University
News & Media
- ABYZ News Links: media portal
- TV Radio World: international media directory
- BBC World Service
Streaming audio news in Swahili
Arts, Films & Music
- Swahili Music Portal
MP3s of historical recordings fusing traditional, pop and jazz influences
- Swahili music directory
Free songs in Swahili
- Swahili Art
Information from The University of Iowa Museum of Art
Swahili Courses at The University of Iowa
The UI Main Library Film Collection
The UI Main Library offers extensive media collections in various languages. To find films, please visit the UI Main Library website and follow these steps:
1. Select "advanced search"
2. Scroll down to "Limit Search to:"
3. Choose your specific language and
4. Choose "Video-all" for "format."
Language Media Center
For more language-related holdings, please also check the Language Media Center Catalog.
To borrow materials from the Language Media Center, please contact Rebecca Bohde, Instructional Services Specialist, at 319-335-2334 or firstname.lastname@example.org; 116A Phillips Hall.
Iowa City Public Library Catalog
The Iowa City Public Library holds materials for several less commonly taught languages. Please check the catalog by typing the name of your language.
International Writing Program (IWP) Writers
To view a biography and/or writing sample of each participant, please visit the IWP's website and find the participant via the search function.
2007 Peter KIMANI (novelist, fiction writer, poet)
2005 Yvonne Owour ADHIAMBO (playwright)
Scholarships to Study LCTLs
- Critical Language Scholarship
Scholarship for intensive language study during the summer.
For more information on how to become an ALLNet consultant, or if you are a UI faculty/staff member or student who wishes to study critical or less commonly taught languages, please contact Elena Osinskaya, DWLLC Language Initiatives Manager, at email@example.com.
Connect with us