Revised Undergraduate Course Drop Deadline, Early Registration Timeline
The Office of the Registrar has announced a change to the drop deadline for undergraduate courses. The final day for undergraduates to drop an individual semester-length course is now Monday, November 14, 2022. Previously the deadline was Monday, October 31. The new date provides students with additional time to meet with their advisors after mid-term grades and evaluate their academic performance. Drop deadlines for individual courses (including off-cycle courses) may be found on the Registrar’s webpage under Course Deadlines.
Monday, November 14, 2022, is also the final date for undergraduates to withdraw their entire registration.
Undergraduate students who wish to drop a course or withdraw their registration after that date will need collegiate authorization.
Considerations for instructors related to the deadline to drop a course:
- The mark of W will appear on the student’s transcript when they drop a course.
- Ws are neutral marks that do not affect a student’s GPA.
- It is helpful to students if they have a good idea of how they are doing in the course by midterm (and certainly by the drop deadline) so that they can make a realistic and well-informed decision about continuing in a course. Sometimes dropping a course can be in the best interest of a student.
- CLAS does not typically make exceptions to the drop and withdrawal deadlines except in situations where the student has been seriously ill, has had a family emergency, or has been involved in a similar extenuating circumstance. In these cases, documentation is required for the College to approve a drop after the November 14 deadline.
- Please refer students with questions to CLAS Undergraduate Programs in 120 Schaeffer Hall or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Early course registration for the winter 2022 and spring 2023 sessions will now take place over three weeks, with students being able to continue registering for courses after they return from fall break. The first two weeks of early registration will still take place Nov. 7–18. The additional week of registration will run Nov. 28–Dec. 2.