To: Departmental Executive Officers
From: Cornelia Lang, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education, Christine Getz, Associate Dean for Graduate Education and Outreach and Engagement
RE: CLAS Nominations: 2021-22 President and Provost Awards for Teaching Excellence
CLAS Nominations: 2021-22 President and Provost Awards for Teaching Excellence
To: Departmental Executive Officers
We are writing to invite CLAS nominations for the 2021-22 President and Provost Award for Teaching Excellence. These awards are important for the individual winners, their departments, and for the College as a whole as an endorsement of the high value the faculty places on excellent teaching.
Departments may submit one nomination.
The President and Provost Awards for Teaching Excellence recognize faculty with a sustained high level of teaching excellence. These award winners are selected by the University-wide Council on Teaching. The award carries a $3000.00 honorarium.
Each college may forward up to three nominations on behalf of clinical-track or tenure-track faculty and up to two nominations for those in instructional track or adjunct faculty positions. This award is not restricted to previous CLAS Collegiate Teaching Award recipients or nominees, but previous recognition for teaching excellence at the University of Iowa is an important part of the nomination criteria. The President & Provost Award for Teaching Excellence can be won only once.
Our Collegiate Teaching Awards Committee will review all CLAS nominations and select those to forward to the Council on Teaching. Please note that the Collegiate Teaching Awards Committee will pay careful attention to the selection criteria noted in the award solicitation:
- Demonstrated a sustained record of teaching excellence at the University of Iowa (usually 10 years or more) and commitment to student learning.
- Previously recognized for excellence in teaching at the University of Iowa.
- Committed to spending time with students, both inside and outside of class. Shows genuine interest in the welfare of his/her students. Demonstrates a passion for teaching and student learning.
- Involved in a variety of teaching and student-learning activities (listed at https://cot.org.uiowa.edu/teaching-awards/president-provost-award-teaching-excellence/president-provost-award-nomination).
- Contributed to career success of former students.
- Played a significant role in curriculum development or enhancement.
- Created or used teaching materials suitable for a variety of student learning styles.
Please note the CLAS deadline of Wednesday, November 10, 2021 for receipt of nomination materials. Please email your pdf to Gabriella McDermott at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage departments to use an inclusive nomination process involving a diverse and broadly representative group of students, faculty members, and administrators to identify outstanding faculty members with sustained records of teaching excellence and commitment to student learning. As the Council wishes to encourage greater participation by students in the nomination process, the letter from the Collegiate Dean explaining the College's nomination process must provide clear evidence of meaningful participation by students in the nomination and selection process. The committee expects departments to give full consideration to women and minority candidates in the nomination process.
A list of the materials required for the President and Provost Award for Teaching Excellence is available at https://cot.org.uiowa.edu/teaching-awards/president-provost-award-teaching-excellence/president-provost-award-nomination. If you have questions about the CLAS process, please contact Cornelia Lang at email@example.com.