To: Departmental Executive Officers
From: Christine Getz, Associate Dean for Graduate Education
RE: Deadline Extended: Call for CLAS Postdoctoral Scholar Nominations 2021
Deadline Extended: Call for CLAS Postdoctoral Scholar Nominations 2021
To: Departmental Executive Officers
The Dean’s Office has decided to extend the deadline for Postdoctoral Scholar nominations to Monday, January 10, at 1:00 p.m. to maximize the number of nominations for this award. Given the vital nature of this initiative within the College’s DEI work, the Dean’s Office strongly encourages departments to put forth nominations. If your department has a potential nomination, please notify Gabriella McDermott at firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, December 28, at 1:00 p.m.
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) will fund one and possibly two CLAS Postdoctoral Scholars in AY 2022-2023 via the support of an Office of the Provost Investment in Strategic Priorities Initiative. CLAS Postdoctoral Scholars are recruited in accordance with the University of Iowa’s stated principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Like the 2020-2021 Provost’s Postdoctoral Fellowship Program, the CLAS Postdoctoral Scholar awards “provide research opportunities, faculty mentoring, and career development for promising postdoctoral scholars who will contribute to diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education and at the University of Iowa.”
CLAS will consider all eligible candidates nominated by departments and schools, with priority given to those candidates who can make strong contributions to the strategic plan of the College. Specific individuals must be identified for candidacy in the application. For a candidate to be eligible for the CLAS Postdoctoral Scholar award, the doctoral degree of the nominee must have been conferred by the start date of their appointment. Applicants who will have 24 or more months of postdoctoral experience by the start date of the award are not eligible. The applications will be reviewed by a panel of CLAS Associate Deans who will make a recommendation to the Dean.
APPLICATIONS: The department or school making the nomination should submit the following materials to Gabriella McDermott no later than 1:00 p.m. on Monday, January 10. The section of the application prepared by the department or school must be submitted as a Word or pdf file not to exceed 4 pages. For questions, please contact Associate Dean Getz.
- Current CV
- A brief statement of plans for an academic career focusing on teaching, interdisciplinary research, and contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion (up to two pages)
- Evidence of current scholarship (e.g., provide links to dissertation, abstracts, publications/submissions, etc.)
- Two letters of recommendation from current mentors attesting to the candidate’s qualifications in teaching and research or creative work
Department or School:
Please describe the departmental commitment to supporting and mentoring a CLAS Postdoctoral Scholar by identifying and describing the following:
- A tenured faculty member who will serve as the primary research mentor for the postdoctoral fellow
- Two to three secondary mentors selected from among junior and senior faculty in the candidate’s discipline and closely aligned disciplines
- How the department will ensure a well-rounded postdoctoral experience, including professional development, teaching, research, and service opportunities
- The additional support available within the department(s) that will assist the postdoctoral fellow in becoming a more competitive candidate for a tenure-track faculty position
- How hiring the candidate in a tenure-track position upon successful completion of the postdoctoral appointment will advance collegiate strategic goals and enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion in the collegiate community.