The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (CLAS) is a partner in the University of Iowa's TIER@Iowa initiative.
TIER@Iowa is a commitment to providing the very highest value to our students, faculty, and staff by ensuring that University operations are effective and efficient.
The goal of TIER@Iowa is to make our University strong and sustainable for the long term. The primary focus is reinvesting in our core academic missions of education, research, and service to drive learning, discovery, and engagement. TIER@Iowa originated from a review of the academic and administrative functions across Iowa’s three public universities.
TIER (Transparent, Inclusive Efficiency Review) is broad in scope and includes:
- Sourcing and Procurement
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Student Services
CLAS TIER Advisory Group
The primary focus of this group is to facilitate communication among Departmental Executive Officers, the Administrative Services Group, and the Dean’s Office. The group will generate discussion about TIER throughout the College and with the various TIER leaders. They also will share key information with stakeholders, and provide feedback to the Dean’s Office.
- Lance Bolton, Senior Director, CLAS Technology Services
- Kelly Cole, Professor and DEO, Health & Human Physiology
- David Cunning, Professor and DEO, Philosophy
- Nancy Fick, Director, CLAS Human Resources
- Erin Herting, Director, CLAS Business & Financial Administration
- Tom Koeppel, Departmental Administrator, Physics & Astronomy
- Barb Pooley, Departmental Administrator, English, Linguistics, Philosophy, Rhetoric
UI TIER@Iowa Teams
- TIER@Iowa Leadership Team: The Leadership Team is responsible for working with colleges and units to implement TIER initiatives across campus.
- TIER Communication Ambassadors: Communication ambassadors play an important role in engaging the campus in dialogue about TIER. They facilitate discussion about TIER at the local and unit level. Communication ambassadors disseminate information and serve as the local source of knowledge about TIER, answer questions, share facts and dispel rumors. They also gather feedback about the process and relay it back to leadership.
- Project Teams: Each TIER initiative has one or more project teams working on implementation. Under the guidance of the TIER initiative leaders, project teams work collaboratively with college/unit implementation teams to achieve project goals.
- Change Consultants: UI Change Consultants get people ready, willing and able to work in new ways. They work with implementation teams across all TIER initiatives to engage campus, and help transitions go as smoothly and effectively as possible, providing expert guidance, coaching, change tools and support.
- Communication Committee: The TIER Communications Committee was launched in June 2015. The committee develops and implements communication strategies to generate understanding of the importance and urgency of TIER and to cultivate campus ownership. Three communications subcommittees have also been created to work on specific components of TIER communication.
- UI TIER Advisory Board: Representing campus-wide stakeholder interests, the board provides advice and counsel to TIER leadership regarding the development, implementation, and evaluation of UI TIER initiatives; cultivates dialogue about TIER across campus; and shares key information with stakeholders, bringing their feedback to the Advisory Board.
Ongoing UI Leadership Teams
Strategy Implementation Team: The purpose of the Path Forward–Strategy Implementation Team is to create an ongoing process to support the vision and goals articulated in the University of Iowa Strategic Plan. The team will drive an ongoing, active process to identify, prioritize, and recommend actions on institutional initiatives generally with timelines of one to five years.
Operations Team: The purpose of the Path Forward–Operations Team is to create an ongoing process, utilizing a diverse team of university representatives, to support the institutional vision and goals articulated in the University of Iowa Strategic Plan, and objectives developed by the Path Forward–Strategy Implementation Team.
Cabinet: The President’s Cabinet comprises senior institutional leaders who represent all aspects of the university. The Cabinet provides advice and counsel to the president on all strategic and operational matters.