The graduate programs in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders at the University of Iowa consistently rank among the best by U.S. News and World Reports. The Department offers the following degrees:
- Master of Arts in Speech-Language Pathology
- Clinical Doctorate in Audiology
- Doctor of Philosophy
- Combined AuD / PhD
The links at left lead to additional information about the degree programs. Also note that full details are available in the University course catalog.
Please also read Essential Functions for Professional Education.
For the Fall 2017 semester, there were 168 applicants in Speech Pathology Master's Program
188 applicants competing for 25 open slots:
- 67 were offered admission
- 34 waitlisted; no offers made from waitlist
- 67 denied admission
Of those offered admission:
- Average GPA was 3.80 (ranging from 3.16 to 4.0)
- Average GRE scores were: 158 for verbal (range was 150-170); 155 for quantitative (range was 142-165); 4.5 for analytical writing (range was 3.5 to 6.0).
For the Fall 2017 semester, there were 50 applicants to the AuD program
50 applicants competing for 8-10 open slots:
- 22 offered admission
- 12 were waitlisted; 5 later offered admission
- 16 were denied admission
Six will enroll Fall 2017. Of those offered admission:
- Average GPA was 3.70 (ranging from 3.16 to 3.99)
- Average GRE scores were: 161 (range was 149-170) for verbal; 159 (range was 154-162) for quantitative; 5.4 (range was 3.5 to 5.5) for analytical writing.
Please note: Have your GRE scores sent to: The University of Iowa, institution code 6681 (SLP dept. code 0602; AuD dept. code 0602).
Online applications for PhD in Speech & Hearing Science:
Applications are accepted ONLY through the Graduate Admissions website.
Clinical Masters in SLP and Clinical Doctorate in Audiology (MA-SLP and AuD).
Applications are accepted ONLY through the CSDCAS centralized application system. Speech Pathology and Audiology (MA, AuD).
All applications to the Master of Arts (MA) in Speech-Language Pathology and to the Clinical Doctorate in Audiology (AuD) must be made through CSDCAS, a management company by which an applicant may pay one fee and apply to all the participating graduate programs in the system.
CSDCAS Customer Service information. Customer Service is available Monday thru Friday from 9:00AM to 5:00PM EST. Phone – (617) 612-2030; E-Mail – email@example.com.
The CSDCAS portal is: https://csdcas.liaisoncas.com.
CSDCAS Address. All official transcripts MUST be sent to CSDCAS at the address: CSDCAS Verification Department, P.O. Box 9113, Watertown, MA 02471.
- CSDCAS Application Deadlines. The deadline to submit your application online is January 1 (Eastern time). Your letters of recommendation and transcripts may arrive at CSDCAS after the January 1 deadline. It is the applicant’s responsibility to meet the deadline requirements.
- GRE Code. Please send your GREs to University of Iowa, Institution code 6681. Use dept. code 0620 for the Speech Pathology program. Use code 0602 for the AuD program.
- CSDCAS “Frequently Asked Questions” https://portal.csdcas.org/csdcasHelpPages/instructions-and-faq/index.html
- Statement of Purpose for University of Iowa: Your Statement of Purpose should include why you want to enter this field and why the U of Iowa. The application will have a place for you to list your honors/awards/achievements. The statement of purpose is the place to expand on any of those, especially any experiences you may have had while volunteering. The statement should be one page single-spaced or two pages double-spaced.
Additional Links for The UI Graduate College
Current tuition and fees are listed at the University of Iowa Registrar’s website at www.registrar.uiowa.edu. Fees for Graduate College in Liberal Arts and Sciences apply.
The University of Iowa's Academic Calendar is also available on the Registrar's website.
The University of Iowa is accredited by North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
The University of Iowa's Division of Sponsored Programs supports graduate student searches for external funding opportunities, skills in writing persuasive proposals, and development of a history of applying for external funds. Details about their free services are available at http://research.uiowa.edu/dsp/.