Services at the Wendell Johnson Speech & Hearing Clinic
To schedule an appointment or for additional information, phone 319-335-8736 (Voice/TDD). The FAX number is 319-335-8851.
News & updates
- MAGIC and ARC, support groups for those with aphasia, begin Spring Semester 2020 sessions January 23 and January 28, respectively. Details are available on the Neurogenics Support webpage.
- The stats are in! In 2019, the Wendell Johnson Speech and Hearing Clinic served 646 clients, ranging in age from newborns to those over 90 years. That's 449 Audiology clients, 197 Speech-Language-Pathology clients, 4,276 total client visits, and 6,584 hours of assessment and treatment. Congratulations to our hard-working graduate student clinicians and their mentors.
- Save the date for the Easterseals Iowa 2020 AAC Camp! It will be from Tuesday, July 28 - Thursday, July 30, 2020. Read the flyer for additional details.
- The SPEAK OUT!® and The LOUD Crowd® programs have been awarded additional funding to continue to train graduate student clinicians to treat those with Parkinson’s disease who experience voice problems associated with the disease. Congratulations to Ann Fennell, grant writer and clinical voice specialist, who directs this important clinical service.
Our mission at The University of Iowa Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders is to be the premier institution for training, research, clinical service, and outreach in the fields of speech-language pathology and audiology.
At the Wendell Johnson Speech and Hearing Clinic, we strive to provide: 1) superior clinical education to graduate students in speech-language pathology and audiology, and 2) excellent clinical services to individuals with communication and related disorders in the community and across the State of Iowa.
Do you or someone close to you have a diagnosed or suspected communication disorder? Referrals to the Wendell Johnson Speech and Hearing Center can be made by audiologists, speech-language-pathologists, educators, physicians or through self-referrals. Current assessment information is important for planning treatment. It is helpful to have recent assessments and treatment plans forwarded before your scheduled appointment. However, if current data is not available, assessments can be scheduled at this clinic.
Payment of services
The Wendell Johnson Speech and Hearing Clinic submits claims to:
- Accountable Health Plans
- Focus Health/Oxiant
- Health Alliance Midwest
- Health Partners
- Iowa Total Care
- O’Hara LLC
- Prime Health Services
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare Plan of the River Valley
- USA Manged Care Org
- Wellmark Blue Cross / Blue Shield
Please be aware that coverage varies widely among insurance carriers and within plans that they offer. Your financial responsibility will vary depending on the type of service and your health insurance plan. Payment options include cash, check, money order, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, and Discover).A sliding fee scale is available for services provided at WJSHC. They are based on the client's ability to pay, taking into consideration annual income and family size.
For questions / additional information about billing or submission of claims, please contact Cleo McConnell at email@example.com or 319-335-8703.
The Wendell Johnson Speech and Hearing Center is on the west side of the University of Iowa campus at the intersection of Hawkins Drive and Stadium Drive (near a large white water tower northwest of the University Hospitals and Clinics). A map is available. If you plan to use the bus, you may wish to use a Cambus, the free yellow-and-black University buses with multiple routes that originate at the West Campus Transpiration Center (WCTC). WCTC is located directly North of Kinnick Stadium and is less than a block away. The Iowa City bus line also has a stop at the corner of Hawkins and Evashevski Drives.
The linked document provides accessibility information for those driving to the Wendell Johnson Speech and Hearing Clinic. For additional information, contact Karen Bryant, Clinic Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 319.335.8736.
The Wendell Johnson Speech and Hearing Center, as part of The University of Iowa, prohibits discrimination in employment, educational programs, and activities on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, status as a U.S. veteran, service in the U.S. military, sexual orientation, gender identity, associational preferences, or any other classification that deprives the person of consideration as an individual. The university also affirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities and equal access to university facilities. For additional information on nondiscrimination policies, contact the Director, Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity, the University of Iowa, 202 Jessup Hall, Iowa City, IA, 52242-1316, 319-335-0705 (voice), 319-335-0697 (TDD), email@example.com.