Lecturer of Film Studies-Full-time Fall 2018
Applicants should submit applications online through the University of Iowa’s online application system (http://jobs.uiowa.edu)
Lecturer of Film Studies
The Department of Cinematic Arts invites applications for a full-time Lecturer of Film Studies to begin August 2018. The initial appointment will be for one year, with a possible re-appointment thereafter in three-year increments, pending college approval and demonstrated excellence in teaching. Salary and benefits will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
We seek a full time Lecturer of Film Studies to teach a range of undergraduate courses to students in our General Education program and in our Cinema major. Course load is 3-3. Although subject to change, courses likely to be taught each semester are: Introduction to Film Studies (a lecture-based course with Teaching Assistants); Contemporary Cinema (a lecture-based course with Teaching Assistants); and Race, Gender and Sexuality on Screen (a smaller discussion-based course). There is the potential for teaching more advanced undergraduate courses on more focused topics. The Department of Cinematic Arts currently serves 270 undergraduate students in the growing Cinema major and hundreds of non-majors through our General Education courses.
Applicants should submit applications online through the University of Iowa’s online application system (http://jobs.uiowa.edu). Refer to requisition #72480. Questions can be directed to the search committee chair Prof. Corey Creekmur (firstname.lastname@example.org). Attachments to the application should include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, teaching portfolio (2 sample syllabi, teaching evaluations, teaching philosophy), and three letters of recommendation. Screening begins April 18, 2018 and preliminary interviews may be conducted by telephone or videoconference.
- Ph.D. in Film Studies or related area
- Broad range of expertise with ability to teach large introductory courses in film studies
- Demonstrated excellence in undergraduate teaching at the college level
- Experience with supervising and mentoring graduate Teaching Assistants
- Participation in curriculum development
- Interest in online teaching, outreach and engagement, and innovative pedagogical delivery
- Teaching three courses per semester
- Supervision of Teaching Assistants
- Participation in curricular and program affairs
- Promotion of and participation in the academic and cultural activities of the Department, College and University
Online Application Required Documents:
- Letter of Interest
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching portfolio (2 sample syllabi, teaching evaluations, teaching philosophy)
- Number of References: 3
The University of Iowa is a large public university in a friendly, culturally diverse community. The Department of Cinematic Arts and the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences are strongly committed to diversity; the strategic plans of the University and College reflect this commitment. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.