Congratulations on PhD Student Accomplishments!
By Associate Professor and Head of Film Studies Corey Creekmur
Graduate students in Film Studies at the University of Iowa have an impressive track record earning prestigious grants and awards to support their research, and the past year was no exception. In addition to the successful completion of professional milestones like passing Master's or Comprehensive Exams, and holding successful dissertation prospectus meetings, our students received exceptional recognition via awards in 2016-17.
Three students successfully defended their dissertations in Film Studies this Spring:
Documentary Adaptation: Non-Fiction Transformations via Cinema and Television
Inner Lives: The Moral Cinema of Bresson, Rohmer, and the Dardennes
Noir of the Past: Hollywood's Cynical Secret
We had a number of Film Studies students receive awards that allowed them to conduct important research for their dissertations:
- Juho Ahava conducted research in Moscow with a T. Anne Cleary International Dissertation Research Fellowship
- Pat Brown is conducting research in Berlin with a prestigious DAAD Fellowship
- Anu Thapa will conduct research in India this summer with a Stanley International Research Award
Other research awards are helping students conduct dissertation research closer to home:
- Juana New will prepare for her dissertation with a Graduate College Summer Fellowship and a Post-Comprehensive Research Award
- Amos Stailey-Young has a Post-Comprehensive Research Award that will allow him to visit film archives in the United States.
In addition to these awards, graduate students in Film Studies at the University of Iowa continue to distinguish themselves through regular conference presentations and publications in a wide range of venues.