Arts programs ranked in the top 25
Annual performances by the Division of Performing Arts
Events around Iowa through Arts Share (2015)
Undergraduates majoring in arts programs
Our College has long been an innovator in the literary, visual, performing, and cinematic arts:
- We were the first institution to accept creative work as final theses for advanced degrees, giving rise to today’s Master of Fine Arts degree.
- We were the first to combine the study of art history and the studio creation of visual art within the same school.
- Our literary arts programs are renowned worldwide, and have helped build the prestige that made Iowa City a designated UNESCO City of Literature.
- Our Division of Performing Arts offers extraordinary opportunities to all University of Iowa students for the study and performance of music, theatre arts, and dance.
- And we are at the vanguard of the cinematic arts and the rapidly evolving fields of the digital arts.
The arts are central to our history—and essential to our future.
NWP Professor Patricia Foster Wins 2017 Clarence Cason Award in Nonfiction Writing
Musicology Prof Marian Wilson Kimber to present lecture-recital on the elocutionists
American, African American Studies Prof Deborah Whaley publishes poems
Nonfic Writing Program alum Jennifer Percy wins 2017 National Magazine Award for Feature Writing