Arts programs ranked in the top 25
Annual performances by the Division of Performing Arts
Events around Iowa through Arts Share
Undergraduates majoring in arts programs
Our College has long been an innovator in the literary, visual, performing, and cinematic arts:
- We were the first institution to accept creative work as final theses for advanced degrees, giving rise to today’s Master of Fine Arts degree.
- We were the first to combine the study of art history and the studio creation of visual art within the same school.
- Our literary arts programs are renowned worldwide, and have helped build the prestige that made Iowa City a designated UNESCO City of Literature.
- Our Division of Performing Arts offers extraordinary opportunities to all University of Iowa students for the study and performance of music, theatre arts, and dance.
- And we are at the vanguard of the cinematic arts and the rapidly evolving fields of the digital arts.
The arts are central to our history—and essential to our future.
McMillan named a Fellow of the Institute of Sacred Music at Yale University
Ana Rodríguez-Rodríguez is helping Spain reexamine its Golden Age
English publishes anthology of Iowa high school writers' work
Cinematic Arts Professor Christopher Harris selected as 2020-21 Radcliffe Institute Fellow at Harvard University