Welcome from Dean Joe Kearney
Welcome from the Dean
Welcome to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. You have landed in a great spot filled with people who are advancing the boundaries of knowledge and creating new forms of art in a diverse and supportive community. I invite you to explore the college through our web pages or, better yet, through a visit to campus.
Whether you are from a small town, a big city, or a faraway place, you’ll find a stimulating environment and a rich set of opportunities to explore your interests, develop your talents, and build new relationships.
It is my privilege to serve as interim dean. I have been a member of the faculty since 1983, and have gained tremendous admiration and respect for this community of learners, teachers, researchers, scholars, and artists.
As a 21st-century, comprehensive college spanning the humanities, arts, natural and mathematical sciences, and social sciences, our college fosters collaboration across the disciplines. We recognize that to solve daunting societal problems, we need strong connections among people, cultures, and ideas.
Please join us on our journey of discovery.
Joseph K. Kearney
College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
- 37 departments spanning the performing and fine arts, humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, mathematics, and communication disciplines
- 70 undergraduate majors; 70 minors; 18 interdisciplinary certificate programs
- 94% job/graduate school placement rate (Class of 2016)
- 17,000+ undergraduate students (70% of UI total)
- 1,900+ graduate students studying in CLAS departments
- 1,700 international students+
- 60% of undergraduates are from Iowa, representing all 99 counties
- About 600 tenured/tenure-track faculty
- $40.6 million in external grant funding, FY2018
- 9 programs ranked in the top 25