Welcome from Dean Chaden Djalali
Liberal arts education and research have never been more important or relevant than they are today. We don’t know what professions or technologies will exist in 25 or 50 years, and we may only have a glimpse of the challenges and opportunities our society will face in the future. But we do know that we will need people with a lifelong thirst for knowledge and understanding of the world and its citizens, who are able to communicate persuasively, think creatively, adapt quickly, be open to emerging ideas and technologies, and work with colleagues with diverse expertise and backgrounds to solve problems and develop new frontiers.
These qualities are the essence of liberal arts education, and are at the heart of a University of Iowa education.
Our College is a dynamic community of learners, collaborating across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences to shape our fast-changing world in positive directions. We empower our students to develop their unique talents, preparing them for life as educated, informed citizens in Iowa’s communities, in participatory American democracy, and in the global society in which they will live their professional and personal lives.
Our faculty are not only exceptional teachers, they are also world-class researchers and artists at the forefront of their disciplines. They bring their discoveries into their classrooms, laboratories, and studios, and they help students meaningfully engage with their communities and environment to solve problems and learn in the field.
Each of us—students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, and friends of the college—has important and unique contributions to make as we shape our College’s future. I invite you to join in our exhilarating mission.
Chaden Djalali, Dean
UI Alumni Association Dean’s Chair
College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
- 39 departments spanning the performing and fine arts, humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, mathematics, and communication disciplines
- 68 undergraduate majors; 70 minors; 18 interdisciplinary certificate programs
- 95% job/graduate school placement rate (Class of 2014)
- 17,000+ undergraduate students (70% of UI total)
- 1,900+ graduate students studying in CLAS departments
- 1,700 international students+
- 60% of undergraduates are from Iowa, representing all 99 counties
- About 600 tenured/tenure-track faculty
- $40.1 million in external grant funding, FY2017
- 9 programs ranked in the top 25