What is Vanessa’s story?
Scholastic journalism education is a primary focus for Vanessa as executive director of Quill and Scroll International Honorary Society for High School Journalists, which was founded at and is headquartered in the University of Iowa School of Journalism and Mass Communication. She has written for and edited Quill and Scroll media for scholastic journalism students and educators as well as presented sessions at conferences and workshops on related topics. Diversity issues, African-American news media and journalism instruction for younger students are her other interests.
Believing journalism instruction is beneficial to younger students in developing media literacy, communication skills and career awareness, she has taught junior high school and elementary students news writing for the Belin-Blank Center for Gifted Education on campus since 2008. The students produce final projects such as a video news show and digital newsletter.
Previously, she served as director of the Iowa High School Press Association and the UI Summer Journalism Workshops. She developed a nationally recognized journalism academy for primary and middle school students. Prior to that she was assistant director of News Services at the University of Iowa, after serving as a newspaper reporter.
Now at the University of Iowa, Vanessa serves as a staff adviser of the student chapter of the National Association of Black Journalist on campus. She additionally is a member of NABJ, the Journalism Education Association, the National Scholastic Press Association, and the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication of which she was head of the Scholastic Journalism Division.
- JMC:3605:0001 Introduction to Multimedia Storytelling
- Executive Editor of The Principal’s Guide to Scholastic Journalism, Quill and Scroll Society
- Editor of Quill & Scroll magazine, Quill and Scroll Society
- Editor, Quill and Scroll Style Guide, Quill and Scroll Society
- “Watching Music,” Journalism of Communication Inquiry, 23,2, co-authored with Venise Berry, associate professor, University of Iowa, School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- “Bennie Rodgers: Dean of St. Louis Black Journalists,” presented to Association of Journalism Historians Convention, Portland, OR.
- Honors Lecturer, Scholastic Journalism Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Barry Bingham Fellowship, Association of Opinion Journalists
- Robert Knight Multicultural Recruitment Award, Scholastic Journalism Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Innovative Outreach to Scholastic Journalism, Scholastic Journalism Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Catalyst Award, Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity, University of Iowa