David Asa Schwartz
University of Iowa Murray Fellow
Expected Graduation in 2016
Crisis communication & fundraising; sports communication.
- PhD, 2016 (Expected), Mass Communication, University of Iowa.
- MS, 1998, Journalism – News Management & Administration, Northwestern University.
- BA, 1997, Journalism and Mass Communication, University of Iowa.
Non-Academic Publications and Presentations
- 2013 New Media Expo (BlogWorld). “Journalism 101 for Bloggers”
- 2012 Huffington Post (“Parents” homepage). “Tim Tebow and Jeremy Lin as Teaching Tools for Parents”
- 2011 FCCLA Iowa state conference. “Media, Communication and Technology: Finding Success and Protecting Yourself”
- 2011 Huffington Post (primary homepage). “Explaining Penn State to a 4-Year-Old”
- 2010 Northern Illinois News Association. “The Petting Zoo: 10 Mobile Technologies to Improve News and Information Distribution”
- 2010 Communication: Journalism Education Today. “iPad Revolutionary”
- 2010 AEJMC Hot Topics. “Bringing Back the Written Word: 24 Hours on the iPad”
- 2010 Journalism Education Association National Convention. “10 Steps to Self-Branding in Journalism Communication”
- 2010 Quill & Scroll magazine. “Answering Burning Questions About Blogs”
- 2007-2012 University of Iowa School of Journalism and Mass Communication. Director of Scholastic Outreach
- 2004-2007 Shaw Media, suburban Chicago. Managing editor–news and photo; executive sports editor
- 2003-2004 Erikson Institute, Chicago. Associate director for communication
- 1999-2003 Shaw Media, suburban Chicago. Assistant sports editor; sports reporter
- 1999 The Sporting News, St. Louis. Copy editor
- 1998 Medill News Service, Washington, D.C. Congressional, White House and Supreme Court of the United States reporter for publications in Iowa and Nebraska
- 1998 Washington Post. Prep sports clerk.
- 1997-1999 Dallas Morning News; Arizona Republic; Chicago Tribune. Internships
- Aug. 2012-Present, Research Assistant, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- 2008-2012, adjunct instructor (11 courses), University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Courses developed: Advanced Digital Media Workshop; Entrepreneurial Blogging; Media Writing (online); Sports Media Survey (online)
- Other courses taught: Sports Writing; various independent studies
- 2011, Faculty Hiring Committee, University of Iowa School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Multimedia production
- Multiplatform proficiency (WordPress, Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit, Facebook, Microsoft products)
- Video editing
- Graphic design