The School of Journalism and Mass Communication invites applications to our Master of Arts-Strategic Communication program from those who will have completed four-year bachelor’s degrees by the time they enroll.
The classes in this program are offered online and at The University of Iowa's John and Mary Pappajohn Education Center in Des Moines, Iowa; not on the main campus in Iowa City, Iowa.
Applicants must have a GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Applicants to the School of Journalism and Mass Communication must submit scores from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) before their applications will be considered complete.
International applicants to the online program who are not native English speakers must also submit TOEFL scores. Applicants with TOEFL scores below 100 (600 on the paper-based test) will not be considered for admission.
SJMC Graduate Application Process
1. Apply online at the Admissions Website by clicking here
2. Please note that you must create an account with the University of Iowa by clicking the Create Account function. You will be asked to pay a fee of $60.00 ($100.00 for international students).
3. Send the following materials to the School of Journalism & Mass Communication (see address below)
- Your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Three letters of professional and/or academic recommendation on letterhead (may be scanned and sent as e-mail attachment)
- A statement of purpose indicating your area of interest and goals within the program (may be sent as e-mail attachment)
- Samples of your professional and/or academic writing (may be sent as e-mail attachment)
- An up-to-date CV or résumé (may be sent as e-mail attachment)
4. Send the following materials to the Office of Admissions (see address below)
- A second set of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Your official GRE General Test scores from the Educational Testing Service (the University's institutional code is 6681)
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the University's English Language Proficiency Requirements
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement
School of Journalism & Mass Communication
The University of Iowa
E305 Adler Journalism Building
Iowa City, IA 52242
Associate Director for Online and Distance Education
University of Iowa School of Journalism and Mass Communication
John & Mary Pappajohn Education Center
1200 Grand Avenue #110
Des Moines, IA 50309
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
107 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1396
Applications must be complete to be reviewed for admission. Admissions will be considered on a continual basis, following submission of each complete application, although students should allow at least one month between completion of the application and the beginning of the semester in which they hope to enter the program.
See also: The School of Journalism & Mass Communication Graduate Studies Handbook, which includes this information and more.