Martha Kirby serves as the academic advisor for Political Science, International Relations and Ethics & Public Policy Majors who have earned at least 24 semester hours.
Martha’s Extended Drop-In Hours August 25th – September 5th only!
- August 25 – August 29th from 10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- September 2nd – 5th:
- Tuesday and Wednesday: Out of Office. (See Jessica in 341 Schaeffer Hall for immediate assistance.)
- Thursday and Friday: 10 a.m.- noon and 2:30-3:30 p.m.
Fall 2014 Drop-in hours: (beginning Sept 9th)
Mondays: 9:30 – 10:30 a.m.
Tuesdays: 9:00 – 10:00 a.m.
Wednesdays: 11:30 – 12:30 p.m.
Thursdays: 2:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Fridays: 11:00 – Noon
Or schedule an appointment at: https://tippie.uiowa.edu/clas/professional-advising
Questions or Scheduling:
- For quick questions, email Martha at: email@example.com
- To schedule an appointment with Martha, you may use the online scheduler
- For adding and dropping courses and other immediate issues, stop by Martha’s drop-in hours in 344 Schaeffer Hall.
Martha is available to assist students with the following:
- Advisor signatures on add/drop and other university forms
- Questions about course registration
- Questions or problems with your degree audit
- Academic probation
- Review of study abroad courses for major credit
- Opportunities for Honors students
- Discussions regarding adding second majors, minors, and certificate programs
- Information regarding campus resources for students
- Choosing your faculty advisor
- Other questions or concerns you may have
In addition, when you achieve junior standing and above you will be assigned a faculty advisor; students and faculty are matched based on shared academic interests. While you will continue to see Martha Kirby for routine advising functions, your faculty advisor is available to:
- Provide disciplinary guidance for research projects
- Serve as a mentor for honors theses and projects
- Discuss your graduate and professional school aspirations
- Supervise off-site student internships
We encourage you to allow your advisor the opportunity to get to know you well enough that they can provide expert advice tailored to your individual interests.
Scheduling an individual appointment is recommended if you would like to review your degree audit, map out a plan to graduation, or have other questions for which you would like to have an extended conversation.