Alice L. Davison
syntax, semantics, pragmatics, Hindi-Urdu and other South Asian languages
- 2014 Reversible and non-reversible dative subjects: a structural account.Conference on Formal Analyses of South Asian Languages-4, Rutgers U., March 28-29 2014.
- 2013 Syntactic structure and modality in Hindi-Urdu. Paper presented at the meeting of the Linguistic Society of America, Boston, January 3-6, 2-13.
- 2013 Varieties of control in South Asian languages: a paradoxical situation for UG. Paper presented at Formal Approaches to South Asian Languages, U.S.C., March 2013.
- 2012 Reversible and non-reversible dative subjects. Workshop on South Asian Linguistics, Yale. U., September 28-30, 2012.
- 2011 Control and non-control: the mysterious case of dee-naa in Hindi-Urdu. Formal Approaches to South Asian Languages, University of Massachusetts, March 2011.
- 2011 Non-finite complements and modality in dee-naa ‘allow’ in Hindi-Urdu. Finiteness in South Asian Languages, University of Tromsø, Norway, June 9-10.
- 2011 Control and non-control: the mysterious case of ‘allow’ in Hindi-Urdu. South Asian Language Analysis Roundtable Conference, Mysore (India), January 2011.
- 2011 Forward and backward control: A South Asian perspective. Plenary talk, South Asian Language Analysis Roundtable Conference, Mysore (India), January 6, 2011.
- 2010 Long-distance agreement and restructuring. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Linguistic Society of America, January 9, 2010.
|LING:1003:0001||English Grammar||202 EPB||TTh 5:00-6:15pm|
|LING:4060:0001||Introduction to Semantics||202 EPB||TTh 11:00am-12:15pm|
|LING:7010:0001||Advanced Syntactic Theory||269 EPB||TTh 2:00-3:15pm|
The syntax of Hindi-Urdu and linguistic parameters.
Backwards and forward control in South Asian Languages: implications for the theory of control.
Dative subjects in Hindi-Urdu and other South Asian languages.
Is there obligatory A’ movement in Hindi-Urdu?
Conditions on Case marking.
Related verb sets in Hindi-Urdu: a database.
- To appear: ‘Brief overview of generative and reference resources in South Asian languages.’ In E. Bashir, H.H. Hock and K.V. Subbarao (eds.) The Languages and Linguistics of South Asia. Berlin: Mouton DeGruyter.
- 2015 Hindi/Urdu: central syntactic issues. In Tibor. Kiss and Aretmis. Alexiadou (eds.)Syntax– Theory and Analysis. An International Handbook. Handbooks of Linguistics and Communication Science. 42.1-3. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
- 2014 Non-finite complements and modality in dee-naa ‘allow’ in Hindi-Urdu. Natural Language and Linguistic Theory 32.1, 137-154.
- 2013 Empty categories in the Hindi-Urdu binaa participle clause. Lingua Posnaniensis. 55.2, 25-40.
- Dependent structural case and the role of functional projections, In R.M.Q Rapksha et al. (eds.) Dakkhina: essays in honor of James Gair. Colombo: Godage International Publishers, 183-206.
- 2009. "The lexical specification of correlative clauses in old and modern Indic languages." In Fifth Asian GLOW Conference (Generative Linguistics in the Old World). Mysore: Central Institute of Indian Languages, pp. 1-19.
- 2009. "Adjunction, features and locality in Sanskrit and Hindi/Urdu correlatives." In Aniko Liptak (ed.) Correlatives. John Benjamins (Series: Language Faculty and Beyond. Internal and External Variation in Linguistics).
- 2009. "Correlative clause features in Sanskrit and Hindi/Urdu." In P. Crisma and G. Longobardi, (eds.) Historical Syntax and Linguistic Theory. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- In press "Hierarchical structure and linear order: correlative clauses in Hindi/Urdu." In C.P. Masica (ed.), Papers from the 2003 ICOSAL Meeting, Moscow State University. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, pp. 211-245.
- 2008 "A case restriction on control: implications for movement". Journal of South Asian Linguistics. Center for the Study of Language and Information.
- 2007 "Word order, parameters and the Extended COMP Projection." In J. Bayer, Tanmoy Bhattacharya and Hany Babu (eds.), Linguistic Theory and South Asian Languages. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, pp. 175-198.
- 2005 "Phrasal predicates: How N combines with V in Hindi/Urdu." In Tanmoy Bhattacharya (ed.) Yearbook of South Asian Languages and Linguistics. Berlin: Mouton DeGruyter, pp. 83-116.
- 2004a "Structural case, Lexical case and the verbal projection." In V. Dayal and A. Mahajan (eds), Clause Structure in South Asian Languages. Dordrecht: Kluwer, pp. 199-225.
- 2004b "Non-nominative subjects in Hindi/Urdu: VP structure and case parameters." In P. Bhaskararao and K.V. Subbarao (eds.), Non-nominative Subjects, Volume 1. Amsterdam: Benjamins, pp. 141-168.
- 2002 "Agreement features and projections of TENSE and ASPECT." In R. Singh (ed), Yearbook of South Asian Languages and Linguistics. Delhi: Sage Publications, 27-57.
- 2001a "Ergative case licensing, agreement and reflexive binding." In Anvita Abbi, R.S. Gupta and Ayesha Kidwai (eds), Linguistic Structure and Language Dynamics in South Asia. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass.
- 2001b "Long-distance anaphora in Hindi/Urdu." In P. Cole, G. Hermon and J. Huang (eds), Long Distance Anaphors. Irvine, CA: Academic Press, 47-82.
Recent conference papers:
- 2008 "On the categorial identity of infinitives in Hindi/Urdu." Paper presented (in absentia) at the XXIV South Asian Language Analysis Roundtable, South Asia Conference, Madison, Wisc., October 17, 2008.
- 2008 "Weak and strong correlatives." Linguistic Society of America, Chicago, IL, January 2008.
- 2006 "Syntactic effects of correlative clause features in Sanskrit and Hindi/Urdu." 9th Diachronic Generative Syntax Conference, University of Trieste, June 8-10, 2006.
- 2005 "Syntactic adjunction: consequences for correlatives in Sanskrit and Hindi/Urdu." Generative Linguists in the Old World, GLOW in Asia V. Jawarharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, October 5-8, 2005. (Invited speaker)
- 2003. "Dependent Structural case and the role of functional projections." Paper presented at the 23rd South Asian Language Analysis Roundtable, University of Texas at Austin, October 2003.
- 2003. 'Hierarchical structure and linear order: Correlative clauses in Hind/Urdu.' Paper presented at the International Conference on South Asian Linguistics, Moscow State University, July 2003.
- 2003. "Argument licensing and interface conditions: The motivation for complex predicates in Hindi/Urdu." Presented at the Workshop on Argument Structure, Delhi University, January 2003; colloquia at University of Potsdam and University of Konstanz, July 2003. (Draft of April 2004.)
- 2002. "Perfective aspect as underspecified past tense." Paper presented at the South Asian Language Analysis Conference, June 2002.
- 2002. "The VP structure of two classes of experiencer predicates." Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Linguistic Society of America, January 2002.
- 2001. 'The VP structure and case checking properties of sentences with non-nominative subjects: Hindi/Urdu.' Paper presented at the Workshop on Non-nominative subjects, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, December 2001.
- 2001. 'Word order, parameters, and the Extended COMP projections.' Paper presented at the International Conference on South Asian Linguistics, University of Hyderabad, January 2000.
Work in progress:
- Long-distance agreement in Hindi/Urdu: non-finite clauses
- Dependent structural case and the role of functional projections
- Glossed sentences of a Hindi short story. Introduction, Sample Page I, Sample Page II, Sample Page III, Sample Page IV.
- Verbs in Hindi/Urdu: a database resource for linguistic research. See links for a Description of the Project and the Sample Database