Slideshow

Department of Classics

The Department of Classics is proud of its long and honorable tradition as one of the four original departments created at the foundation of the University in 1847. The first building of the University, Old Capitol, reflects in its design the importance Iowans have always attached to the intellectual and artistic inheritance from the cultures of ancient Greece and Rome.

  • Professor Cargill teaches a class
  • Professor Finamore teaches a class
  • A bronze sculpture in the Department of Classics main office
  • Students in class